Y’all. I love to cook, and I especially love to go out to restaurants and eat, BUT we usually skip Valentine’s Day out because most restaurants serve a pre-fix menu filled with dishes we can’t even enjoy (and don’t get me started on the desserts). Plus, V-Day is so dang expensive, I’d rather spend money on a family vacation or some more champs at home with my tasty meal.
This past weekend I made the creamiest, most flavorful Tuscan Chicken for the fam, and everyone LOVED it. And it was AF (allergy friendly)! It definitely makes the top 10, if not top 5, of the tastiest meals I’ve ever made. Seriously, it’s that good. And the leftovers are delicious the next day too.
I was inspired by the recipe from Allergy Awesomeness and just made a couple tweaks. I also served it over homemade mashed potatoes, instead of pasta, but I’m sure pasta would be delicious as well. This easy meal can be made almost completely with items from your own kitchen, maybe minus the sun-dried tomatoes and coconut milk (which are super easy to find at almost any grocery). Grab your large skillet or and get cookin’.
3-4 Boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut in half lengthwise
2 Tablespoons of oil from the sun-dried tomatoes with herbs jar (genius)
1 Cup full fat coconut milk (I used Thai Kitchen)
1/2 cup chicken broth, or 1/2 cup water
1 Teaspoon garlic powder
1 Teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 Tablespoon allergy friendly parmesan cheese
1 Cup baby spinach chopped
1/2 Cup sun-dried tomatoes with herbs, diced
1. Measure out 2 Tablespoons of the oil from the sun-dried tomatoes. Add it to a large skillet over medium heat.
2. Salt and Pepper the chicken breasts lightly and add to the pan. Cook around 5 minutes per side, until brown, then remove from the pan and put on a plate.
3. Add the coconut milk, chicken broth, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, and parmesan to the pan and heat on medium high. Allow the sauce to thicken slightly, 3-4 minutes.
4. Turn down the heat to medium and add the spinach, sun-dried tomatoes and add the chicken back to the pan. Allow the chicken to simmer in the sauce until the spinach has wilted and everything is heated through (especially the chicken).
5. Serve plain, or over allergy friendly pasta OR over homemade mashed potatoes like I did.
Get ready to dig into a delicious meal, and make everyone fall in love with you, all over again, this Valentine’s Day.
Cheers – Stephanie