Apparently I’m a different kind of person when it comes to “entertainment”. I don’t like seeing people’s heads get chopped off, or blood, or toilet humor, or aliens, or zombies, or any of what seems to be flooding our devices these days. I also like to watch tv on well, a tv. Call me old-fashioned, but watching on my phone just doesn’t have the same impact, plus it’s harder to hold my glass of wine. And let’s face it, my eyesight ain’t getting any sharper.
I prefer smart humor, or what I think is smart humor. I also love real stories that make me feel like the people on the other side of the screen could be my friend IRL, or at least my drinking buddy. I thought I’d share some of my favorite shows/specials in case anyone feels the same way I feel, needs a giggle, and doesn’t want to go to bed with visions of dead bodies on their mind.
- I’m Sorry on Netflix. A comedy writer mom with a wicked sense of humor and a filthy mouth. She’s endearing, relatable and seriously witty. The episodes are short and easy to watch. I prefer to see them with a glass of Chardonnay, or two. Completely binge worthy.
- Relatable on Netflix. Speaking of relateable. Have you seen Ellen Degeneres’ new comedy special? She has long been one of my favorite stand up comedians and this new set doesn’t disappoint. Light, funny, kind and well, everything you love about Ellen.
- The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel on Amazon. I can’t even with this show. If you haven’t watched it, run to your device, or television, or picture box, or radio, or whatever, and find it now. The awards are all spot on. Best everything. As a long time, devoted fan of The Gilmore Girls, let me just say I’m blown away by the dialogue, wit, costumes, set design, and cast. Brilliant! Thank you Amy Sherman-Palladino, & Daniel Palladino for understanding there are all kinds of funny, and you just get me.
- Friends from College on Netflix. All of us have friends from back in the day, whether that means college, high school, childhood, or someone you met at your first job. These friendships are priceless because they allow us to be kids again. Now imagine growing up with these friends, and you’ve got “Friends from College.” Funny, real, touching, and an amazing cast. Cheers to watching while nailing a couple jello shots, or maybe even knocking back a glass of Boone’s Farm.
- Stay Hungry with Sebastian Maniscalco on Netflix. I love a good comedy special, and I love smart humor that doesn’t need to be too raunchy or gross. Enter Sebastian. I’m so sad we missed his tour, but thanks to Netflix we can watch his hilarious stand-up at home. I honestly don’t know if I love a comedian more than him, unless you include Ellen, or Seinfeld, or Gaffigan, or John Mulaney. You get the picture, I love comedy, I love it when it’s so funny you don’t need to curse the entire time, and I love Maniscalco.
Leave me a comment about what you are watching. I’m up for the next funny, or hilarious show that doesn’t need dismembered bodies or aliens to make an evening.
Cheers – Stephanie